So I think I've sort of figured out driving in India. At first, it seems very hectic, chaotic, and definitely intimidating but there is a rhyme and reason to it.
Speeding is never really an issue. There's TONS of traffic and lots of speed bumps. Staying within your lane is completely optional. The use of your horn is recommended and you should refrain from using any turn signals because it will probably confuse people. Late at night, stop signs and traffic lights are optional or whenever traffic is light.
People frequently use their horns to indicate when passing, to indicate when someone else is trying to pass you, to let other drivers know where you are, at pedestrians to let them know to get out of the way, and immediately after a red light turns green. If you're not fast off the block from a red light, people will assume you're asleep at the wheel.
Traffic is also really bad especially during rush hour. Typically, it takes about 1 hour to go about 10km in Bangalore. That's about 6.2 miles. If it's during rush hour, you can probably add another 30 minutes to that.
Cutting people off is perfectly acceptable. Making u-turns whenever you like is totally alright, and even driving against traffic is okay if it helps you get to your destination faster.
Basically, as long as you don't hit anyone or anything, everything is fair game.
THat is so crazy!! YOU guys are braver than me I would get mad at people too much and say screw it ill walk lol. SO basically you have traffic ALL over the place going all kInds of directions?
ReplyDeleteBy the time you leave, you'll be able to write an extensive traffic rule/observation book on Indian traffic.
ReplyDeleteI think you've covered all the basic rules already. Think you can flesh out a chapter for each rule? I smell an NYT best seller!
I cannot tell you how much this post made me crack up. I can just imagine you trying to drive in India. LMAO!!
ReplyDelete