Thursday, December 9, 2010

New Indian foods

So today was Phil's last day in India.  We all went out to lunch for work to a place called Zaica.  Very good Indian buffet.  (No McDonald's this time)  I had the opportunity to expand my horizons with some unique Indian cuisine.  The first is called Jalebi.  My co-workers tell me it's basically deep-fried sugar soaked in more liquid sugar.  Apparently it's some kind of batter, deep-fried, then soaked in some super sweet syrup.  It was very sweet but I've been told there are even sweeter variations than the ones they had at Zaica.



The other thing I had after lunch is Paan. It's a betel leaf with a whole bunch of stuff wrapped up inside of it.  There are lots of different variations.  I'm not quite sure what was inside of the one I ate, but it tasted sweet, had a hint of licorice, and had an after taste of toothpaste. There were a bunch of other flavors in it that I couldn't distinguish.  It was quite a cacophony of flavors. It's supposed to help with digestion and make your breath smell better after eating spicy foods.  It was definitely an experience.

All of us enjoying Paan

No comments:

Post a Comment